28. February 2010 07:50
Iris is the colored part of the eye. Its main function is to control the amount of the eye entering the eye. Iris is the circular muscles that control the size of the pupil and thus control the amount of light entering the eye.
Iritis is the inflammation of the iris of the eye. Since Iritis is the inflammation inside the eye, this condition can be sight threatening.
Causes of Iritis
- Iritis can be caused due to Viral or bacterial Infection
- Trauma to the eye can lead to Iritis.
- Systemic diseases like Ankylosing spondylitis and Rheumatoid Arthritis can also be a cause of Iritis.
Symptoms of Iritis
- Pain and redness in the eye
- Sensitivity to light
- Smaller pupil
- Irregular shape of Pupil
- Blurred vision
Diagnosis of Iritis
- Complete eye examination by a qualified Eye Doctor – Slit eye exam
- When Iritis is suspected to be caused by the systemic illness, complete medical evaluation is done. This includes blood tests and X-rays
Treatment for Iritis
- Main aim of the treatment is to reduce pain and inflammation caused by Iritis.
- Cycloplegics drops or Dilating eye drops to enlarge the pupil. These reduce the discomfort in the eye.
- For Infectious causes – Antibiotic eye drops and Ointments are used.
- Topical steroids to reduce inflammation and pain
- In severe cases oral medications may be prescribed
Untreated or Chronic Iritis may lead to
For complete Eyecare, contact Killeen Eyecare Center serving Killeen, Fort Hood and Harker Heights in Central Texas region
Eye Exams Harker Heights - Eye Doctor Killeen
22. February 2010 08:27
Myopia or near sightedness is an eye defect in which the image of the object being seen is formed in front of the retina, unlike the normal image formation on the retina. This causes near placed objects to be viewed clearly, but objects that are situated far off appears to be blurred. The two causes of myopia are: either the eye ball is too wide or the cornea is too steep which leads to formation of the image in front of the retina, rather than on it. As the image is formed on the vitreous inside the eye, this leads to the formation if a blurred image.
Symptoms of Myopia
The main symptoms of this eye defect include blurred viewing of far off objects, extreme headaches and giddiness while concentrating on far off objects. While looking at distant objects, myopic people tend to squint their eyes.
Diagnosis of Myopia
A patient's vision for the detection of myopia is tested by making him read letters or numbers on a chart posted a set distance away (nearly 20 ft). The investigating doctor/ optometrist asks the patient to look at and read the board through a variety of lenses to obtain the best correction. Optometrist concerned also carefully examines the inside of the eye and the retina. An instrument known as a slit lamp is used to examine the cornea and the eye lens. The prescription for the corrective eyeglass is written in terms of dioptres (D), which measure the degree of refractive error. Based on this prescription, the patient can get the corrective eyeglasses or contact lenses made.
There are 2 ways of treating the problem of myopia and achieving clear vision again. One can choose the preferred treatment by them on the basis of age, health, intensity of the defect and the cost factor. The two possible alternatives are:
- Corrective lenses: According to the vision testing results, eye glasses or contact lenses with the prescribed power can be purchased and made use of for restoring proper vision. This is the best possible treatment as it is the least invasive, longest-standing, and the most adjustable option. In young age, the power keeps fluctuating time and again. Glasses and lenses can be changed from time to time. They are also more economical than other treatment i.e. Laser surgery.
- Laser surgery: Laser surgery is another widely accepted treatment for myopia. There is a good percentage of success rates in treating Myopia of eye through Laser Surgery. In most of the cases, a patient does not need to wear eye glasses or lens after surgery. In some cases, there may again occur the need to wear the glasses.
Prevention of Myopia
The following points should be taken care of, from an early age for prevention of myopia:
- Do not watch T.V. or computer, continuously for long stretches of time. Take a break, wash your eyes and look around after every 40 minutes.
- Watch T.V. from a distance. Do not sit too close and watch. It will strain and eventually damage the eye muscles.
- Take a diet rich in vitamin A, with lots of papaya, carrots, milk products, cod liver oil and meat.
- Get routine vision tests done.
Contact Killeen Eyecare Centre for Eye Glasses, Eye Exams and Eyecare consultation from experienced Eye Doctor in Killeen, Texas.
Contact Lenses Harker Heights - Eye Doctor Fort Hood
15. February 2010 08:10
Your eye is the most sensitive, delicate and the most attention catching part of your body. In this hectic lifestyle, your eye requires a lot of care and extreme attention. Need to spend most of your working hours before computer screens, heavy pollution in the environment lead to numerous eye diseases, blurring of your vision and irritation in the eyes. The need of the hour is to look for ways and methods to keep this vital sense organ healthy, glowing and beautiful. This article offers a list of eyecare tips that should be followed:
Protection from Sun: The first and foremost requirement of eyecare is the need to protect your eyes from the harmful ultraviolet radiations coming from the Sun. Direct contact with sunlight for long durations of time make your eyes prone to redness and puffiness. It can also lead to permanent damage to your eyes. To avoid this, one must always keep a pair of quality sun glasses handy.
Diet and exercise: You must ensure a healthy and nutrient rich diet to keep your eyes fit and fine. Lack of proper nutrition is generally found to be a major cause of unhealthy eyes. Keep your diet highly rich in vitamin A, such as, foods like carrots, papaya, green leafy vegetables, eggs, meat, cod liver oil, milk and milk products. Eye exercise is another major must-do. For different exercises for eyes, you can refer my post on Exercising Tips For Eyes
Water consumption: Water is a pre requisite for healthy glowing eyes. Drink a minimum of 10-12 glasses of water a day to keep your eyes in good health.
TV/computer viewing: While watching TV for longer durations or working on the computer for too long, make sure to take regular breaks every 15-20 minutes. Look suddenly towards a far off distant object and wash your eyes frequently.
Other important tips: There are a few important things which must be taken care of in order to maintain proper health of your eyes :
- Do not rub your eyes using hands in case of any kind of irritation or redness.
- Wear Eye Glasses according to your number. Visit your Optometrist regularly to monitor your vision.
- Consult a qualified Eye Doctor in case of persistant eye irritation or if there is trouble in vision.
Eyes being the most vital sense organs of one’s body, require intrinsic care and good maintenance. Make sure you follow the above mentioned tips in order to keep your eyes healthy, beautiful and glowing. For querries regarding eyecare feel free to contact Killeen Eyecare Centre
8. February 2010 08:01
Macula is small area located in the centre of the eye. It is an important structure of the retina as it is responsible for the central vision and fine details of the objects in front of the eye. It is also responsible for the color vision.
Age related macular degeneration (AMD) – the cells of the macula become damaged slowly as the age progresses.
AMD is of two types
- Dry AMD - The cells in the macula gradually degenerates and there is gradual loss of the central vision, the early symptoms include blurred vision followed by complete loss of the central vision.
- Wet AMD - in wet AMD the loss of vision is very fast. In this type of AMD, an abnormal blood vessel of the retina grows under macula. These blood vessels tend to break down very often that damage the macula. Macula damage in the WET AMD is faster than that in dry AMD.
Causes of AMD
Age related AMD as the name suggest, is caused by the aging process. However there are some risk factors that may increase the chances of developing AMD in some individuals. These include:
- Family history of AMD
Symptoms of AMD
Dry AMD –
- Blurred vision
- Blind spot in the middle of the eye
In wet AMD distorted vision as the blood vessels the leak in the eye raising the pressure in the eye.
- People with AMD may need more light to read and write
- Diminished color vision
In advanced AMD there is complete loss of the central vision
Diagnosis for AMD
- Certain tests that may detect the AMD include
- Visual acuity test
- Dilated Eye examination
Treatment for AMD
- Laser therapy
- Low vision aids like special lenses
- If you have genetic history of macular degeneration or initial stage of macular degeneration below mention points may help you
- Increase in Vitamin intake especially Vitamin C, E, and Zinc
- Weight control
- Smoking cessation
- Controlled blood pressure
Contact Killeen Eyecare Center for diagnosis and consultation for Macular Degeneration. Killeen Eyecare Center serves Killeen, Harker Heights and Fort Hood areas in Texas.