16. January 2010 10:46
It has been observed that certain thyroid diseases can affect the eyes. The most common thyroid disease having eye manifestation is ‘Graves disease’. Graves disease is an autoimmune disease in which the thyroid hormones are produced in excess. The thyroid gland is over stimulated to produce excess of thyroid hormone. In "Graves disease" the body itself produces antibodies against the thyroid gland that over-stimulate the thyroid gland. Theses antibodies also affect the eyes.
How eyes are affected?
- The antibodies affects the orbit of the eyes. These antibodies cause over-stimulation of the cells of orbit that in turn produces certain chemical that causes damage to the eye. Swelling within the eye may cause optic nerve damage in the later stage.
- Inflammatory reaction is initiated around the eye which may lead to swelling and redness around the eye.
- The cornea of the eye may become dry due to the inflammatory changes in the eye.
- Pain in the eye
- Upper lid retraction
- Swelling and redness in the eye
- Dryness in the eye
- Impaired vision
- Double vision
- Widening of the space between the eyelids
- Forward protrusion of the eyeball
- Thyroid disease is treated to ensure the optimum levels of thyroid hormone in the body
- For less severe cases where dryness is the common complain, frequent lubrication of the eyes by artificial tears.
- Non-Steroidal anti-inflammatory eye drops for inflammation and redness
- Surgery may be requires in severe cases. Most common type of surgeries performed is Orbital decompression surgery, Eye muscles surgery and Eyelid surgery
Eyecare For Graves Disease
- Smoking cessation – It has been observed that smoking can aggravate the eye manifestation of the graves disease.
- Regular treatment of thyroid disease
- Cold compresses can provide relief in pain and also provide moisture to the eye
- Protect the eye from direct sun contact by using sunglasses.
For complete eyecare contact Killeen Eyecare Center: Serving Killeen, Harker Heights and Fort Hood areas in Texas TX.