7. June 2010 15:33
Those who constantly work in front of the computer are bound to suffer from a variety of eye diseases in the long run. Nowadays, it has become unimaginable to have perfect vision and healthy eyes. Still, it is possible with a good exercising routine and quality lifestyle.
While prescription glasses and contact lenses help in vision correction, certain exercises are also essential to get effective results. Listed below are easy exercises for making your vision better and keeping your eyes healthy.
- Find a comfortable chair and sit on it. Rub your hands together and cover your eyes with cupped palms. Make sure that your nose remains uncovered and no pressure is applied on the eyeballs. Place your hands in a way that light does not enter the eyes and there are no gaps between fingers or between the palms and the nose. With closed eyes, you need to imagine blackness and focus on it. Visualize a scene or peaceful incident while taking deep breaths. Once you see deep blackness, remove the palms from your eyes and repeat the process for 3 minutes.
- Shut your eyes tightly for three to five seconds and then open them for the same amount of time. This exercise must be repeated 7 to 8 times.
- Massage your eyes with circular movements of your hands for 1 to 2 minutes. You must press closed eyes lightly to avoid hurting the eyeballs.
- On your upper eyelids, press three fingers of each hand and hold the position for 1-2 seconds before releasing them. This exercise has to be repeated 5 times.
- In a sitting posture, relax your body and then roll your eyes. This has to be done clockwise and counter-clockwise, 5 times. Between each time, you can blink your eyes.
- Find a place about 6 inches from a window and make a mark on the glass at eye level. Now, you must focus on some far away object for 10-15 seconds through the mark on the window.
- At arm’s length, hold a pencil and move your arm towards your nose. While doing this, keep your eyes focused on the pencil. Repeat this exercise 10 times.
- Up and down eye movements are also a good eye exercise. This can be done 8 times, starting from up to down. Similarly, you can move the eyes from left to right.
Following these exercising tips for eyes can help you with eye strain and prevent diseases related to eyes.
Eye Doctor Fort Hood - Optometrist Fort Hood
15. February 2010 08:10
Your eye is the most sensitive, delicate and the most attention catching part of your body. In this hectic lifestyle, your eye requires a lot of care and extreme attention. Need to spend most of your working hours before computer screens, heavy pollution in the environment lead to numerous eye diseases, blurring of your vision and irritation in the eyes. The need of the hour is to look for ways and methods to keep this vital sense organ healthy, glowing and beautiful. This article offers a list of eyecare tips that should be followed:
Protection from Sun: The first and foremost requirement of eyecare is the need to protect your eyes from the harmful ultraviolet radiations coming from the Sun. Direct contact with sunlight for long durations of time make your eyes prone to redness and puffiness. It can also lead to permanent damage to your eyes. To avoid this, one must always keep a pair of quality sun glasses handy.
Diet and exercise: You must ensure a healthy and nutrient rich diet to keep your eyes fit and fine. Lack of proper nutrition is generally found to be a major cause of unhealthy eyes. Keep your diet highly rich in vitamin A, such as, foods like carrots, papaya, green leafy vegetables, eggs, meat, cod liver oil, milk and milk products. Eye exercise is another major must-do. For different exercises for eyes, you can refer my post on Exercising Tips For Eyes
Water consumption: Water is a pre requisite for healthy glowing eyes. Drink a minimum of 10-12 glasses of water a day to keep your eyes in good health.
TV/computer viewing: While watching TV for longer durations or working on the computer for too long, make sure to take regular breaks every 15-20 minutes. Look suddenly towards a far off distant object and wash your eyes frequently.
Other important tips: There are a few important things which must be taken care of in order to maintain proper health of your eyes :
- Do not rub your eyes using hands in case of any kind of irritation or redness.
- Wear Eye Glasses according to your number. Visit your Optometrist regularly to monitor your vision.
- Consult a qualified Eye Doctor in case of persistant eye irritation or if there is trouble in vision.
Eyes being the most vital sense organs of one’s body, require intrinsic care and good maintenance. Make sure you follow the above mentioned tips in order to keep your eyes healthy, beautiful and glowing. For querries regarding eyecare feel free to contact Killeen Eyecare Centre
5. January 2010 07:27
It is a disease of tears and ocular surface of the eye. Tears are the main source of nourishment to the ocular surface of the eye. Tears are made of compounds that keep the eye moist and clean. If the production of tears in the eye is less or if the chemical composition of the tears are altered so that they evaporate quickly, leads to dry eye syndrome
Causes Of Dry Eye Syndrome
- Natural ageing process causes ageing of the tear glands
- Medicines like certain antihypertensive, Parkinson’s disease medication, antidepressants may cause lesser production of tears
- Living condition e.g. if you live in dry and humid climate or your office or home has dry heating systems
- Insufficient blinking. This can occur when person works for longer hours on computer Wearing contact lenses for longer period
- Systemic diseases like Rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren’s syndrome
Symptoms Of Dry Eyes
- Irritation in the eye due to dry sensation
- Burning and itching in the eye
- Feeling of a foreign body in the eye
- Sometimes watery eyes can also result since dry eyes causes overstimulation of tear glands that leads to overproduction of tears
- Blurred vision
- Symptoms generally gets worse towards the end of the day
Treatment Of Dry Eyes
- The dry eye syndrome is an ongoing condition and is generally not completely curable. However the symptoms of the conditions can be treated
- Optometrist may prescribe artificial tears, Cyclosporine or corticosteroid drops depending on the condition of the eye.
- If the symptoms are intense and interfering with the daily activities, optometrist may suggest surgery as the treatment of dry eyes syndrome.
Self Care For Eyes
- Try to maintain less humid environment at house and work place. More humidity in air causes evaporation of tears
- Wear sunglasses to avoid dust and other particles in the air. These may worse the symptoms of dry eyes
- Frequent blinking of the eyes stimulates the tear glands and keeps the eyes moist. If working for longer hours in front of computer, frequently blink your eyes
- Adequate rest and sufficient sleep may also relieve the symptoms
Killeen Eyecare Center Provides Complete Eyecare Solutions in Fort Hood, Killeen and Harker Heights, Texas (TX)
27. December 2009 07:31
Cataract is the clouding of the eye lens.
Lens of the eye refracts the light on to the retina of the eye. The lens changes its size and shape to properly focus the light on the retina so that the correct image of the distant or near object is formed on the retina.
Causes Of Cataract
- Aging – Lens of the eye is made up of proteins. The protein in the lens maintains the clarity of the lens. With advancing age the chemical composition of the lens proteins changes and proteins generally gets distorted. This causes clouding in the eye lens.
- Congenital Cataract- Due to hereditary causes, cataract can be present at the time of birth. This condition is rare.
- Recent researches have shown that prolonged exposure to ultra-violet radiations can also cause cataract.
- Severe trauma or injury to the eye.
- Other medical conditions like Diabetes, obesity
- Long term uses of steroids like prednisone.
- Hereditary causes – People with family history of cataracts are more prone to develop the cataract.
- Blurring and gradually loss of vision
- Diminished color vision
- Difficulty in glare
- Increased nearsightedness
- Double vision in one eye
- Increased difficulty of vision at night
- Visual Acuity test – This test is done to evaluate the problem with the vision. It is done to test the vision. By reading the letters or numbers from the card held 14 inches from the face.
- Dilated eye test- Pupil us dilated or widened by putting some eye drops in the eye. The eye is then examined by the doctor. This test allows the doctor to see more of the lens and retina.
- Glare sensitivity test
Treatment Of Cataract
The symptoms of the early cataract can be improved by
- New eyeglasses for altered vision
- Brighter lighting and magnifying glasses during reading, watching TV
- Anti glare sunglasses
- Surgery – Surgery is done only when symptoms of the cataract doesn’t improve with above methods and are so severe that they cause difficulty in performing daily life activities. In cataract removal surgery the natural lens of the eye that has developed opacification is removed and artificial lens implant is inserted.
Killeen Eyecare Center provides consultation and treatments for various eye problems.