6. May 2013 08:23
Anisometropia is a condition in which the patient suffers from unequal vision in both eyes. This is due to the varying refractive power of both the lenses. The unequal movement of both eyes resulting from this condition could lead to other vision abnormalities such as asthenopia and diplopia.
- Anisometropia could result from differing state of hyperopia (farsightedness) or myopia (nearsightedness) in eyes. In extreme cases, it could also be that one eye is hyperopic and the other is myopic.
- The disorder could be congenital or could be caused by developmental disorders in early childhood.
- In some cases, it could be caused by cataract surgery in which the intraocular lens power is miscalculated.
- Blurry vision: Patients with anisometropia have poor binocular vision, which means that the size of images seen by the left and right eye differs- sometimes up to around 20%. This results in blurry vision, one of the key symptoms of the condition.
- In most cases, the eye appears normal in size and structure. This is why the condition has to be diagnosed through detailed eye exams, which are carried out at various locations in Harker Heights.
- In later stages, the patient may experience uniocular vision, with the better eye becoming dominant.
- The most common treatment for anisometropia is the use of corrective spectacles with a different prescription for both eyes. This is effective if the difference in vision in both eyes is not extreme. However, if there is a significant difference in the refractive power of both eyes, this could result in complications like double vision. If used from an early age and worn at all times, spectacles can effectively reverse the condition by training the weak eye.
- Another option is contact lenses. Prescribed by an optometrist, these have been found more effective in patients whom spectacles do not suit. These are highly recommended in Harker Heights.
- LASIK surgery can treat the condition by making the refractive power of both lenses equal.
- If the condition is left untreated, it can result in several complications, the most common of which is amblyopia, or lazy eye. In this condition, the weaker of the two eyes completely loses its vision, since the brain causes the better of the two eyes to dominate. This is why refractive surgery is considered even in children and is the ultimate solution.
17. April 2013 08:03
Hectic work schedules and long hours work on the computer leave eyes tired. Watching TV for prolonged hours can also lead to fatigued eyes. It is thus important to consult Optometrist from time to time to address the problem. Harker Heights have well qualified eye specialists who are always at your service to offer eye care tips. The following tips can also help in taking care of the tired eyes.
- If you work on computer for long hours, you must get regular eye examination done to keep a tab on the health of your eyes.
- Secondly, tired eyes can be a result of working on the computer in improper light. So make sure that the light is neither too dim nor too strong for the eyes. This is also true in case you are watching TV.
- Anti-glare screens are very helpful in reducing the glare of the monitor. Anti-reflective coating on the lenses of eye glasses can also provide the same protection. They will reduce the strain on your eyes.
- Taking break from working on the computer screen after every 20-30 minutes can provide relief to the eyes. Also, you must make a conscious effort to blink more often as this helps in keeping the eyes moist.
- A flat computer screen should be used instead of the old one because LCD screens are milder on the eyes. Also, adjusting the screen’s brightness can prove to be less strenuous for the eyes.
- A closed eyelid massage relaxes the tired eyes. You simply have to close your eyes and stroke the lids in a fast motion with your fingertips. This exercise should be done several times in the day to obtain its proper benefits.
- Another exercise that can help reduce tiredness in eyes is the massage of your nose bridge. In this exercise, use your finger and thumb to softly massage the bridge area of your nose.
- Special eye wear must be worn for protection of the eyes while working on the computer. This eye wear must be worn all the time while you are in the office working in front of the computer screen or watching television. Visit your optometrist in Harker Heights for more details regarding the same.
- Limit the number of hours you watch TV and increase the consumption of vegetables and fruits such as spinach, beans, papaya, pumpkin and lettuce etc. This will help in strengthening the vision and reducing eye problems.
Keeping the above tips will help in providing extreme relief to tired eyes and promote good eye health.
5. April 2013 10:59
Some of the daily activities such as playing sports, cleaning, cooking, taking care of the backyard etc. can lead to eye injuries. An injury or damage to the eye can occur anywhere; be it the bathroom, kitchen, bedroom or even the living room.
Wearing eye protection is the best way to save yourself from any sort of eye injury. Before you start doing any daily chore that can cause harm to the eyes, make sure you wear protective glasses to minimize the risk of injury. However, if you are still unfortunate to suffer from an injury to the eyes, you must get eye exams done to determine the extent of damage.
Although you can protect yourself to a great extent, some things might get beyond your control and cause damage to the eyes. In such a case, visiting an optometrist in Harker Heights is a must but there are some things that you can do immediately in case of eye injury.
- Whenever you suffer from even the mildest of eye injuries, make sure you do not rub or touch the affected eye(s) or put pressure on it.
- In case your eyes get swollen up due to the injury, try to use a cold compress without applying too much of pressure.
- In case a chemical gets into your eyes, splash water to clean it or use eyewash. Keep in mind that you do not rub your eyes as it can lead to further damage.
- If foreign objects enter your eyes, do not rub them. Small particles such as sand and dust can be washed out with eyewash. However, in case of larger particles, you must open your eyes widely to let tears flow and wash them out.
- When a puncture happens, do not wash your eyes with water. Also, do not even try to remove the object or apply the pressure on the eyes. This will only cause more damage to the delicate eyes. Anti-inflammatory medicines are a strict no-no as these can cause excessive bleeding by thinning the blood. Cover your eyes and visit the eye doctor as soon as possible.
- Wearing sunglasses or protective covering on the eyes can easily save you from any kind of injury caused by the sun. Long-term exposure to sunlight can damage your eyes over a period of time, so it is best to keep them covered whenever you go out.
You must immediately visit your eye doctor, in case you experience any of the above mentioned eye injuries.
25. March 2013 06:17
Eyeglasses are nothing but corrective lenses that are used to improve the vision. Glass pieces are cut according to the prescription given by the doctor. They are cut in such a way so that when the light enters these glasses, the image that you see on the retina gets focused on the correct place. When the retina comes in contact with this light, it sends the information to the brain and the brain transforms this data into the real image.
Read on to know about the different vision problems, the reason behind them and how eyeglasses can effectively correct them.
There is a problem in the vision when the image focused on the retina is not in the appropriate position; it too far back or too far in. Farsightedness occurs in the former case while nearsightedness happens in the latter. Also, there are many people who suffer from aging vision or astigmatism and they too need the help of an eye specialist. An eye exam will help you determine what exact problem you have and then accordingly you can put on the requisite eyeglasses to correct it.
Eyeglasses are also helpful for people who are having the problem of crossed eyes. In this case, the eyes are unable to focus together. This results in the production of two of the same objects that are seen by the eyes. A person suffering from this condition experiences blurriness while seeing both the objects and none can be seen clearly.
Eyeglasses are used to correct the above mentioned problems by using the right lenses in them. There are basically two types of lenses: the plus lens and the minus lens. In case of farsightedness, a plus lens in convex shape is recommended which focuses the image on the retina. On the other hand, the minus lens in concave shape focuses the image on the retina in case of nearsightedness. The different strengths of these two lenses are utilized to correct the defect of the eyes.
In case you suffer from any vision problems, you must visit an eye specialist immediately before the problem worsens. Get the perfect eyeglasses from your optometrist in Killeen for your vision problems and do not make your eyes suffer any sort of strain. Delaying the visit to your eye care doctor will only worsen the vision and cause further complications in the eye sight.
11. March 2013 06:20
Acanthamoeba keratitis is a parasitic disease of the eyes wherein amoeba infects the cornea of the eye. This is a rare condition and mostly affects those who wear contact lenses. This is the reason, it is imperative to carefully disinfect the lenses before wearing them. You must also keep in mind that you remove the contact lenses when you go for swimming or surfing.
The disease causes unimaginable pain in the eyes and a stromal ring shaped infiltrate appears in the eyes. Read on to know the causes, symptoms and treatment for this eye infection.
Although Acanthamoeba Keratitis mostly affects the people who wear contact lenses, it can infect anyone. People wearing contact lens can get this infection due to any of the following reasons:
- Improper handling of lenses.
- Not cleaning the lenses properly or cleaning with solutions other than what are prescribed by the eye doctor.
- Using the lenses while swimming or using a hot tub.
- Infecting the lenses with contaminated water.
- Previous history of damage to the cornea due to a sudden shock.
The symptoms that surface in the eye due to Acanthamoeba Keratitis can be quite similar to what a person might experience in other eye infections. The symptoms of this particular infection can continue for many weeks and even months. Following are some of the most common warning signs that you must look out for:
- Pain in the eye
- Redness in the eye
- Blurriness in vision
- Increased sensitivity towards light
- Feeling that something is present in the eyes
- Excessive production of tears
You must immediately contact your eye doctor in case you experience any of the above mentioned symptoms. If you delay the treatment, the pain will go on increasing and eventually cause loss of vision and permanent blindness.
25. February 2013 10:04
Grave’s eye disease, also commonly known as thyroid eye disease is basically a condition in which the white blood cells attack the thyroid gland. It is an autoimmune disease where the size of the thyroid increases manifold and it starts secreting hormones in an unusually large amount in response to the attack. This also has an effect on the eyes which bulge out abnormally because of inflammation in the muscles and other tissues. Grave’s eye disease also affects the functioning of the heart and brain.
The attack by the white blood cells directly aims at the eye muscles and tissues that rest inside the eye socket. The eye tissues consist of proteins that the immune system mistakes for those found in the thyroid gland. Probably this is the reason why eyes are very vulnerable in this disease. Although the severity of symptoms might vary, in rare cases the patients can even lose their eyesight.
Thyroid eye disease also bothers people who have normal or thyroid hormone levels. Women are more at the risk of getting affected by this disease as compared to men. Also, people who regularly smoke are at a higher risk of developing Grave’s eye disease.
SYMPTOMS: This disease can be diagnosed by a simple eye examination if your thyroid gland problem has already been detected. Additionally, blood tests and thyroid scans are also necessary to confirm the condition.
Following are some of the symptoms associated with Grave’s eye disease:
- Redness and irritation in the eyes is one of the most common symptoms.
- Dryness appears in eyes if the tear-producing gland is badly affected.
- The eyes appear bulged out and it might seem you are staring continuously.
- Since the eye muscles suffer from inflammation, they are unable to function properly and as a result the patient might develop double vision.
- If the disease goes untreated and reaches an advanced stage, blurry vision coupled with the inability to distinguish between various colors can also occur.
In some cases, the eyes tend to return back to normal when the abnormality of the thyroid gland is fully treated. However, in other instances even the treatment of thyroid gland is rendered ineffective and there is no positive effect of its treatment on the eyes. In these conditions, the doctors prescribe steroids as well as immunosuppressive drugs to stop the occurrence of inflammation of the optic nerve and consequent blindness.
At present, intravenous corticosteroids are generally preferred by eye doctors as they are a more effective remedy. If all the measures fail, then surgery is the last resort wherein a part of the affected tissue is removed to reduce the pressure on the eyeball. An X-ray procedure can also be used to remove the damaged tissue.
11. February 2013 12:18
The right kind of food is essential to keep your eyes healthy. A lot of eye diseases and problems can be warded off by eating nutritious diet. Read on to know what all vitamins and minerals are essential for the proper functioning of eyes.
- Antioxidants like Vitamin A, C and E greatly help in the prevention of cataract, age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and many other eye diseases. Eating fruits and vegetables of all colors can feed your body with natural antioxidants. Animal products like liver and eggs are a rich source of vitamin A which helps in the functioning of retina. On the other hand, vegetarians can opt for spinach and carrots.
- Vitamin C also serves the same purpose as vitamin A and can be found in citrus fruits as well as broccoli and strawberries etc. Vitamin E slows down cataract growth and is found in green leafy vegetables and nuts.
- Omega-3 fatty acids found in cold-water fish, flaxseeds and walnuts help in the prevention of dry eyes and AMD.
- Vitamin D is also very beneficial in cutting down the risk of AMD. Found in salmon, mackerel and milk, the intake of this vitamin is necessary for the good health of eyes.
- Orange-colored fruits and vegetables such as carrots, squash and apricots are rich in beta carotene and maintain healthy eyesight.
- Broccoli is a very good source of lutein and zeaxanthin apart from being rich with vitamin C. If you consume it regularly, you can delay the progress of vision loss and AMD.
- You must have adequate proportions of zinc in your diet to prevent the degeneration of the macula. The vegetarians can consume zinc from beans and lentils while the non-vegetarians can opt for beef, poultry as well as oysters to include zinc in their diet. Remember that zinc is very important to release vitamin A from the liver that can be utilized for strengthening eye tissues.
- While supplements might seem to be an easy way out, it is best to include natural food in your diet to add to the health of your eyes. A balanced diet consisting of fruits, vegetables, lean meats as well as fish will prove to be very effective in improving the health of the eyes. However, you can opt for certain supplements rich in antioxidant vitamins that help to boost the health of the eyes.
Eyes are one of the most important organs of our body. Like any other organ, they too need special care and protection, else irreversible losses can occur that can affect your vision for the whole life. It is imperative to consume a nutritional diet full of vitamins and antioxidants to provide optimum nutrition to the eyes.
For more details on eye care, visit Killeen Vision Source, 416 North Gray Street, Killeen, TX 76541, Downtown Killeen or call us at 254-634-7805.
24. January 2013 09:05
The sense of vision is the most crucial of all the five senses. While adults are aware of the precautions that need to be taken for eye care, children are usually ignorant. Children often find it hard to express themselves. They may not be able to explain or bring to your notice if something is making them feel uneasy. This asks for more parental responsibility and attentiveness. In order to keep child`s vision healthy, parents need to know and practice principle steps in taking care of their child`s vision.
Weak eye sight is most common eye problem in children. Your child may not require spectacles with a number but he may still suffer from weak eyes. Though dark circles are not common in children but if your child’s skin is darkening below the eyes, then you need to get their eyes tested at an optometrist`s clinic. Also, if the child rubs his or her eyes frequently, is sensitive to light, blinks more often or if he experiences pain in head or eyes then his eyes must be tested. Apart from these physical symptoms there are also behavioral signs such as irritability, poor performance at school, blurry vision, tilting of head to see white board and being un-corporative in doing homework. If these signs and symptoms are missed at early stages, these may put eye sight at a major risk as the age progresses.
Even if your child is free of any signs of eye problem, getting regular eye check-ups should be made a mandatory part of his health care. Some conditions can only be diagnosed by physical or clinical examination but these often go unnoticed until problem becomes permanent or worse. For example, children who sit closer to the white board in class rooms may not notice that they are developing short-sightedness. Also, squints often go unnoticed in infants and younger children. Though free eye check-ups are often held at schools but these are usually general check-ups and may miss detecting an underlying eye problem. It is thus of extreme importance that the children must undergo regular check-ups by a professional and experienced ophthalmologist or optometrist. They will thoroughly perform complete screening of eyes including visual acuity tests. Most optometrists are also child specialists.
In order to keep your child`s vision safe and healthy you may have to take some strict measures. Keep a disciplined sleeping schedule. Do not allow children to sit too close to computers or television. Include more foods like carrots and gooseberries that are rich in Vitamin A in your child`s daily diet.
10. January 2013 10:08
Many people are initially wary of wearing glasses due to concerns regarding how it will affect their look and lifestyle. But there is nothing to worry as choosing the right frame depending upon your face type can help a lot in accentuating your look and improving your lifestyle as well. Certain pointers have to be borne in mind before you decide on a pair of glasses for yourself. The frame color, shape, measurements of the lenses, and the shape of your face; all coordinated together and you can get the perfect eye glasses to suit your personality.
Glasses of different shapes and designs are available in the market. But here are a few tips to help you find out what pair of glasses will suit you the best.
- Rectangular frames work best for people who have a round face. They accentuate the facial contours and make the face appear longer and slimmer. Frames with a rectangular shape create an illusion of a longer face. These frames beautifully balance out the round face structure and make you stand out in a crowd for sure.
- If you have a rectangular face that is also long, then avoid going in for the rectangular frames as they will only make your face appear longer. Instead, go in for the aviator frames that are wider than normal. They ill suit your facial features and make the face look smaller and rounded. Aviator frames are a sure shot winner when it comes to people with rectangular shaped faces.
- If you have a face structure that is square in shape, then your best bet are the oval frames. They help to create an illusion of curves on your face as they wonderfully mask out the visible right angles on your face. The shape of the oval frames helps to create a rounded look for your face.
- People with a face that is oval-shaped have myriad options to choose from. Since the face structure is beautifully well-balanced and proportionate, any shape of glasses will look good on them. Take any of the available shapes of frames and it will strike a balance immediately.
A pair of glasses can add a lot to your personality in terms of confidence. All that you need to do is exercise care while choosing a pair that is just right for your face structure.
We at Killeen Vision Source provide eye examinations and eye glasses for all age groups. You can visit us at 416, North Gray Street, Killeen, TX 76541, and Downtown Killeen or call us at 254-634-7805.
26. December 2012 07:45
Undeniably, the number of vision problems in children is quite high in the US. It is true that children and even some parents overlook symptoms such as headache, eye itching, watery eyes and other similar symptoms. If you are child is experiencing such symptoms then be alert because there could be a vision problem that your loved one is facing. It is extremely necessary to go for regular eye check-ups in order to diagnose eye problems at an early stage, if any. Let’s have a look at few warning signs of vision problems as these will help you detect if your child is suffering from any.
- If your kid is blinking, squeezing and rubbing the eyes too much, it shows the signs of tiredness and allergies. It is true that all such behaviors are common among children during daytime but if you are noticing these issues during bedtime, then schedule vision screening of your young one.
- If your loved one is winking a lot then it can be a sign of vision problem. Some children close their one eye while watching television and reading. It could be due to double or blurred vision. Go and get full eye examination now!
- Headaches are commonly the first sign of vision problem in young kids. It could be due to eye strain. If your child is struggling to have a look at the chalkboard or pages of a book then vision problem is a possibility. This is the reason most vision problems get diagnosed after a child starts going to school.
- Some children often avoid doing the tasks that require visual concentration. If a child holds toys or books too close then its time you visited a reputable eye clinic now.
- Do you have any family history of possible vision problems? If yes then it could be transferred to your child too. In such a case, it is always recommended to go for regular vision screening so that a possible eye defect can be diagnosed at an early stage.
Apart from all the above warning signs, there are some silent symptoms too which should be detected. For instance, a wandering or crossed eye is common these days and it affects around 3 to 5 percent of children throughout world. One eye appears to be crossed from other eye but it is actually not a vision problem, but nervous system impairment. Still, it should be screened as early as possible because it may also raise some serious concerns for both parents and kid.
Uneven focus is another silent vision problem that is found in 2 to 3 percent of kids available throughout world. In this, one eye is more far sighted from other. This vision problem is quite hard to recognize at early stage because a child cannot determine about the problem at that meager age.
Now, you can easily evaluate the signs of vision problems in young kids but still it is always suggested to stay in touch with a reputable and professional eye doctor to diagnose the problem as early as possible. Also, make sure to motivate kids to use eye glasses to stay protected from TV, computer and eye strain. So, only at good eye clinic, you can thoroughly get the root cause of vision problem that your kid is facing. Make sure to keep all the above points in mind for the better vision and future of your loved one!
For complete eye examination or for any related query, kindly visit us at Killeen Vision Source. We are located at 416, North Gray Street, Killeen, TX 76541, Downtown Killeen. You can also call us at 254- 634- 7805.